24 February 2018

[STORIES] Chiaroscuro: Prologue


If my squadmates knew where I am right now, they would probably die of envy. I even have to restrain myself from whistling and jumping with glee as I stood there…facing a large, green rock enclosed in a glass. As the sergeant of SXIGP-S1, I am expected to display utmost discipline, obedience and respect no matter what the circumstances are.  Even if that circumstance involves me being called inside this room…the Ivory Cathedra. Ok, I’m ready to die now. 


Now, what do they say about the Ivory Cathedra? ‘The cathedra awaits those who strive and excel.’ As an inhabitant of the Planet Sixam, it is my—and practically every Sixami’s--lifetime goal to be excellent at everything. Our race continued its galactic supremacy by perfecting everything… our names, manner of birth, language, gene pool, military, planet leadership, etc.  So if the beasts tell you that no one is perfect except for the Enlightened and Merciful Llama, then they’re pulling your pants. We, SixamÄ“, are beyond perfection.


And what better way to prove such perfection? By being here… the seat of the most powerful being in the galaxy, SIXAM-000, Sovereign, Grand Imperator, Supreme Minister, and Lifebringer of the Cenaerere. It’s a mouthful I know but we, Sixame, just call him MoFa, a rather tacky combination of the words ‘mother’ and ‘father.’ Though I was silently disappointed that I’m only facing the MoFa’s rocky aspect, I’m still honored and beyond thankful for the opportunity of being here. Most Onesers (and even up to Threesers) like me would live and die without seeing this room in our lifetime. 

“You understand why you’re here?” The rock asked after the necessary greetings and small talk. 


I resisted the urge to nod enthusiastically because honestly, I did not understand any of the instructions given to me by General CKFJ-299 (except the part where he told me to come here at once) a few hours ago. “Forgive me, Blessed MoFa, but the General’s instructions were vague.” I also opted for a vague answer just to be safe. 

The rock hummed and emitted a soft green glow. “There is someone that you need to find in Simmeria,” the rock said quietly after a few seconds. 

That gave me pause. “The planet of the beasts, my blessed MoFa?” I clarified. Though it’s not unusual for Sixam to send spies on other planets, it’s unusual that the target area is Simmeria.  It’s a highly polluted and uncivilized planet. Though it’s under the jurisdiction of SIXAM-000, he and all the Sovereigns before him have let the planet manage (or more like destroy) itself to focus the galaxy’s resources on more profitable endeavors. 

“Though it pains me to send a child of mine to a doomed planet like Simmeria, I have no choice but to do it. So, yes, my child.”

I swallowed. I can already imagine the manner of my death with the mission I’m going to undertake. But I’d rather welcome death than face the prospect of living in any of the nations of Simmeria and dealing with the beasts. Alas, I am only a soldier whose life I owed to the Lifebringer.  So I nodded. 

“Any helpful information about this someone, my blessed MoFa?” I asked while making sure that my voice held the enthusiasm of a siq though my insides were anything but. 

The rock hummed and glowed again. After a few more seconds, the glow broke into tiny light crystals that spiraled like the leaves of the Fang Flowers, then, coalesced into a slight figure. A beast. 


“The target’s profile will be sent to you through the HoloPortal. Destroy the data once you have understand and memorized the details. And soldier, this mission is Code Ivory-X.”

Code Ivory-X. Well…well… as the beasts would say, I am beyond fucked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment